Please do come along and enjoy the fruits of your own and others labours!
At Waunfawr Community Hall, starting at 6pm on October 18th
Entry Fee 20p per item/class
Honey and Wax entries restricted to those not entered in any previous ABKA competition and should be from 2015 and 2016 seasons only
Honey tasting Please bring a sample of your honey for the competition.
- Bottle of mead.
- Two one pound jars of light honey.
- Two one pound jars of medium honey.
- Two one pound jars of dark honey.
- Two one pound jars of granulated honey.
- Two one pound jars of heather honey.
- Cake of beeswax approx. 8oz in weight.
- Four cakes of beeswax approx. one ounce each.
- A shallow comb of honey suitable for extraction.
- Ornamental display, incorporating wax. Base of entry to be no more than 6inches in diameter.
- Fun class…… Best super frame of drawn out comb, with nothing in it –i.e. one full of potential, like the 2016 season of beekeeping!
- Cookery class – “The not much honey orange cake!”
“The not much honey orange cake!”
Preparation time: About 25 minutes. Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes.
Please note this is an old recipe. Instructions use Imperial Measurements including Fahrenheit
- 8 oz margarine
- 8oz soft brown sugar
- 3 standard eggs
- 2 tablespoons of clear honey
- Grated rind and juice of one small orange 6oz plain wholewheat flour
- 3 level teaspoons of baking powder
Pre heat the oven to 375 deg F ( Mark 5)
Grease and line two 71⁄2 inch sandwich tins.
Cream 6oz of margarine and 6 oz of sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Beat in 1 tablespoon of honey and the orange rind.
Sift in the flour and baking powder and add any remaining bran left in the sieve. Lightly mix in 3 tablespoons of orange juice.
Divide the mixture between the prepared tins. Smooth the tops.
Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until firm to touch. Turn out the cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
Cream 2oz of margarine with 2 oz sugar and beat in one tablespoon of honey. Sandwich the cakes with this filling.
Decorate and present appropriately!
Keep for a week in an airtight tin.
Annual ABKA Photographic competition
It’s time to sort through your photos, the categories are:
- Flowers for Foraging
- Best Apiary Layout
- An Impressive Swarm
- Returning to the Hive
- Other Insects
Up to 5 photos per member – can be in any category
(e.g. 1 in each category, all 5 in one category, 2 in one, 3 in another, etc.).
Printed pictures only 8 x 5 or less, colour or black & white.
All entries to be presented in one envelope with your name on it.
Each member present on the evening will vote for their favourite three pictures in each category and their overall favourite picture from all three categories.
The winners will be the photos with the most votes, if there is a tie then the number of second place votes will be used.